Description: This project will consist of a series of photographs that will be hung on the wall. There will be three or four photos, the first one is of someone sitting with their hands together in prayer. The second, someone sitting crossed legged and arms in a Mudra (Buddhist hand positions). The third, is of someone kneeling, arms stretched out, and head facing down (this is like the prayer position of the Islamic faith). In all of the photos the models will not have there faces shown and there will be a iPod with the model wearing the headphones in each of the photos. The photos will also have wires that will be connected to one pair of headphones that the viewer will be able to listen music playing. The outlet for the audio would be intergrated into the photo. The audio playing will be songs that are distorted but still recognisable with phases repeated that related to concept of music and religion. And since the poses of the models are from different culturals the audio track will include different music from around the world. I also want to include a pillow in front of the photographs for the viewer to sit down and think.
Creative Problem: How can I make sure the audio and photos fit together withtout either one over shadowing the other? The music I include with the poses, will they be offensive or bring out strerotypes?
Ideas/ Subject Matter/ Theme: With the headphone wiers connected it relates to music being universal and can connect anyone from around the world. The headphones, instead of speakers, it allows the viewer to become enclosed in the audio,the photographs, and the subject matter. As well, many people use music to shut the rest of the world out and focus on their own thoughts because there is no judgement and no rules, in music, giving people an outlet.
Materials:
-Mp3 player
-Headphones
-Wiers
-Wier cutter
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

HEY ARYN! First off this is a really great idea and when you said you didn't want to do it I was like, I'LL DO IT! Anyways, back to whatever. You already know some of my ideas but here they are. First you should have separate colours of ipods in the pictures and maybe even some of the different styles, just watch who you give the newer ones to cause some people might be offended and kind of as a cultural statement. I was also thinking that you should use meditative songs and ind of blend them into the newer, pop songs you intend to use. When you first brought this up it made me think how cool this would be in a gallery cause music and religion are kind of like the universal languages in the fact that they can bring people together for good of bad, but none the less bring people together and in a gallery you would be bringing people together through music and religion. If you need any meditative song or other music I'd be more than happy to help you out. Other than that your project sounds great and hope you have fun with it. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment.
ReplyDeleteFirst, i understand the concern about the iPods and how it could relate to equality of the religion.
2nd, I was thinking about how music is a connection to each other (thats why the wires are all leading into one headphones.
Also, since i have only really experienced the american pop culture (and how so much of today is being americanized) i think it would be the dominate sound.
3rd, i would love to use your help.
Interesting concept Aryn :)
ReplyDeleteI particularly like the fact that you are inviting people to meditate in their own way as part of experiencing the piece, that and the headphones will really bridge a gap between the viewer and the photo. As far as the music goes, I would recommend that you try listening to a wide variety of genres when deciding what you want to put to the final pieces. different songs will have a different impact and especially in the case of pop songs you might create an effect that is not at all synonymous with meditation. Although that could be an interesting direction too... Anyway, whatever route you decide to go, I also have some music that I could lend you if you need it.
-Greta
Hi Aryn
ReplyDeleteLike Greta said, i like how the viewers can interact with the piece in the sense that they can emotionally, physically and mentally be drawn into the photo's through every aspect you have presented. I like the idea of the distorted music because it kind of symbolizes how religion is among a society. Very different and meshed together. Certain elements get lost or changed along the way, but there is always that one aspect that never changes. If that makes any sense :S
I think it could be cool to have the photos on the ground maybe, so when someone were to sit down, the photo's would be at eye level with them.
Also another thought, with the music idea, depending on the photo's, the music could be very silent, if the photo its self is very bold. Or maybe even for a photo have the headphones, but no music,so when they put the headphones in their ears, they hear silence, which could be just as enjoyable.
:)
This is a nice idea, the whole concept of touching different aspects of different religions and cultures .. etc. Integrating the ipods into each picture shows unity in a way that no matter how different our cultures, societies, religions, and beliefs are we can still have the common understanding of one another. Now the pictures, are they going to be more modern as in will they be clear, vivid and bright? Or more of the grundgy older effect as we think of religions as older, passed down through generations and more sacred? Random thing thats popping into my head is the DaVinci Code I dont know why, maybe thinking about different religions and even sectors of religions vary. Your proposal for the final project is a neat one!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting concept. How large do you envision the images? As I picture the images you have described I imagine them larger than life sized so that as the viewer sits with them to think, they almost become monumental. In this way I think it would be much more effective if the images were floor standing and had some body to them (sort of like the obelisk from planet of the apes). I love that you chose the number three because it is considered a holy number by many religions. Are you intending to use colour images? Colour might distract the viewer from the music, but black and white images might be dominated by the music completely. Perhaps selective use of colour would be most effective.
ReplyDeleteAs I picture this, I imagine specific figures in the three images. When you choose your models, be sure to select the age, shape and nationality that best suits your vision for the project, as I think the appearance of the model will greatly influence the impact of the images (even though the faces are not shown).
This sounds really great. Use a red pillow. I don't know why, it just works.
Why are you using those religions specifically?
ReplyDeleteAre there any others you think could be more beneficial to this project? Or easily recognized by the general public?
Will the music actually be religious, or just from the cultures that the religion can relate to?
Maybe use different sitting furniture to relate to each different religion, if you are using more than one.